I made this dish for a Memorial Day party earlier this year – everyone loved it and there were no leftovers to be had. Thank you to Simply Recipes, the original can be found here: link
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage – sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow) – sliced
- 1 large yellow onion – sliced
- 1 – 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 bottle of beer (optional)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add the sliced sausage and stir occasionally until browned on all sides. Add in peppers and onion and sauté until they begin to get tender.
Add the tomatoes, and remaining ingredients and bring the mixture up a simmer. Then turn the heat to low, stirring occasionally until the flavors have melded to taste – about 30- 40 minutes.
Serve over your favorite pasta or by itself.