- 2 teaspoons “butter”
- 1 yellow onion – thinly sliced
- 1 ½ pounds granny smith apples – peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme – chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 red cabbage (2 pounds) – quartered, cored, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chicken broth (and extra if needed)
In a large frying pan, or 4-quart sauce pan, over medium heat, melt “butter.” Add the onion, apples, thyme, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
Add the cabbage and ½ cup of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, 15-20 minutes or according to taste. If the mixture starts to dry out, add a little more chicken broth. If not serving right away, keep mixture covered and on low until ready.
***Works great as a side to your favorite pork dish.