- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ cup red onion - chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme - chopped
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps - chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, ends trimmed, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- Penne or your favorite pasta
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened, and the garlic begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, thyme, and mushrooms, and then turn the heat to low. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms have reduced, approximately 30 to 35 minutes.
Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli rabe, cover, and steam until tender, about 6 minutes. Once the broccoli rabe has cooked, toss it with the mushroom mixture; serve over penne or your favorite pasta.